- Why Choose Us
- Aluminium Windows
- Aluminium Doors
- Automatic Opening Vents (AOVs)
- Curtain Walling
- Roofs & Conservatories
Looking for automatic opening vents (AOVs) for natural ventilation? By choosing windows from our range of integrated AOVs, you’ll benefit from increased comfort, air quality and the knowledge that your ventilation system is compliant with necessary building regulations.
Why ventilation matters
A good ventilation system is vital in any building. Its function is to remove stale air, moisture, toxic gases and any other pollutants and replace it with a fresh air supply. Without adequate ventilation, a building can be subject to damp and condensation, as well as being uncomfortable. Air quality and ventilation is also important for our health, with good airflow and clean air helping to prevent asthma, headaches, allergies and other ailments.
Natural ventilation and how it works
Natural ventilation involves using a building’s windows and purpose-built vents (such as AOVs) to channel old air outside, and bring fresh air in. Unlike mechanical forms of ventilation such as fans, natural ventilation does not require any additional equipment, and uses very little energy. Here are some advantages of natural forms of ventilation:
- It’s cost-effective. When incorporated into the design and build of a new building, natural ventilation is usually the cheaper option. Even if the windows are installed at a later date, natural ventilation can still be the better value long-term option, because it requires minimal energy to operate.
- It’s environmentally friendly. Natural ventilation is a greener choice because it saves energy. If energy efficiency is important to you, choosing natural AOV windows can help you to gain BREEAM credits for building performance.
- It’s easy to maintain. You will still need to look after your ventilation system, but natural windows and vents are much easier to service and repair than mechanical ventilation systems.
- It’s healthy. In offices and other workplaces, natural ventilation provides a healthier working environment, promoting staff wellbeing and even increasing productivity.
How AOV windows help natural ventilation
AOV windows are a convenient way to provide natural ventilation in commercial and residential buildings.
- AOVs can be opened manually as needed, but they can also be linked to your building management system to be opened automatically, governed by a timer or thermostat. It’s possible to set your vents to open when the temperature reaches a certain point, then shut again when it cools down (or when the heat increases and your air conditioning is set to come on).
- AOVs can be controlled room by room, or globally, to achieve the best thermal comfort levels throughout the building.
- Efficient cooling. During the summer months, a ‘night purge’ uses AOVs to introduce cool air into the building at night, then conserves it for circulation throughout the following day. This is a cost-effective alternative to mechanical air conditioning.
Choose natural AOVs from A Plus Windows
At A Plus Windows, we are AOV specialists. We’ll take care of everything, working with our specialist partners and advising you on the best solutions for your building. Find out more about our AOV windows or contact us on 01923 225855 to discuss your natural ventilation requirements.